Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty Procedure
New Minimally Invasive Weight Loss Procedure
A new innovative weight loss procedure is helping people kick-start their weight loss.
The Keyhole Surgery Centre for Endoscopic Therapeutics is one of the few centres offering the programs in Sydney. This is a non-surgical procedure that internally reduce the size and volume of the stomach by 60 to 70%. In effect, the total calorie intake is significantly reduced.
The endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty, also known as endoscopic stomach sleeve or ESG, is a nonsurgical weight loss method. The entire procedure is done through the mouth using a camera without any incision.
Endoscopic sleeve procedure is a safe, is an effective alternative for patients who aren’t ideal candidates for traditional bariatric surgery, or who prefer a nonsurgical weight loss solution.
Who is a good candidate for endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty?
Our team evaluates each patient to help them find their personalized option for reaching their weight loss goal.
To qualify for the endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty procedure, you should:
- Be 18 or older
- Have a body mass index (BMI) of 30kg/m2 or higher
- Be willing to participate in a medically supervised weight loss program
- You have not had previous weight loss surgery
- You have tried unsuccessfully to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight through diet and exercise
How It's Performed
Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty is performed in the hospital under general anaesthesia. Before your procedure, you will need see our dietician and to follow specific pre-operative diet instructions.
- The procedure is performed using a flexible camera and the overstitch endoscopic suturing device.
- The overstitch and camera device allows your surgeon to operating inside your stomach.
- Using the endoscope, the doctor places approximately 12 sutures in the stomach. This reshape your stomach into a tubular structure that of a banana. This restricts the amount of calories your body absorbs and the amount of food you can eat.
The procedure takes approximately 60 to 90 minutes, few patient may require a overnight admission to the for observation after the procedure. The majority of patients go home the same day.
Size of stomach after Endoscopic Gastroplasty
- You will not be allowed to eat for eight hours.
- After the procedure you will be allowed to start a liquid diet, which you will continue for two weeks.
- Approximately two weeks after the procedure, you will move on to puree foods for two weeks, and then to a soft diet
Benefits of Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG)*
- Non-Surgical and minimally invasive
- No incisions or external scarring
- Quicker recovery with less pain or downtime than traditional weight loss surgery
- Not only does a patient see a decrease in body weight, but often related comorbidities such as high blood pressure, diabetes and sleep apnoea can improve after having this procedure.
- General health and wellbeing are improved, higher self esteem, better quality of life and social wellbeing.
- Typically consumed 59% fewer calories
- lose up to 20% of their total body weight two years after undergoing ESG
- Results after ESG will vary by individual, and those who commit to healthy lifestyle changes are likely to see the most weight loss success. Changes in lifestyle and diet are always the most important factors in maximizing weight loss
- Due to the non-surgical and minimally invasive nature of this procedure, the risk of complications is low compared to surgical options.
- Recovery time is also relatively quick, with patients typically returning to their regular activities within 48 hours.